Most of you will by now have heard that there will be a 60km Ultramarathon in Podersdorf. It is designed to be a team competition with 5 men and 3 women. There are however a few brave riders, who will attempt to do this solo. 60km in flat water are tough, but Podersdorf is Europe’s Wind Paradise. It’s the location of the Surf Worldcup after all….
Here are the brave men that will attempt to paddle 60km Solo (in alphabetical order). We wish them good luck for the race. You can check the conditions in Podersdorf here. The forecast for this weekend is up to 20knots of wind….
PETER BARTL, GOSDORF, AUSTRIA
Austrian SUP Pioneer, author of the first German SUP Book, winner of the Austrian SUP Championships, Naish teamrider, riversurfer. He proved he is up for tough challenges by paddling 700km from Graz to Belgrad in SUP zero conditions this winter. He also won the Chiemsee SUP Marathon in 4°C, snow and storm.
- First time on a SUP? Are you kidding me?
- Best SUP Day? Downwinder Majorca
- Most Important Title/Ranking? 1st Place Silz Riversurfing Contest 2003 (beating the Munich locals) – (Petra: yeah, of course, you had to give me that, Peter!)
- Favourite Spot? Mur
- Sponsors? Naish, Quickblade, Keanon
- What else? versatility on any kind of water, surf, downwinder, white water, rivercruising or the local pond.
- Website: You can find more on Peter and his projects on www.paddelsurfen.at
CHRISTIAN MOUTSAKOS, PODERSDORF, AUSTRIA
Born in Vienna, Austria, Christian now lives in Podersdorf, right by the lake, so he is the local. Aside from SUPing he climbs, swim, cycles, runs and windsurfs. He is a ISA SUP Instructor. His first SUP attempt was in Podersdorf at an exhibition and on his second day on a SUP he already participated in his first SUP Race.
- First day on a SUP: August 2010, Podersdorf
- Best day on SUP: Neusiedler See Marathon, 24km long distance Race, 3rd
- Most important ranking: 3rd at Austrian Champs in Weiden (long distance)
- Favourite spot: Neusiedler See with 2-4 bft
- Sponsor: Starboard, Kialoa
- What else: The Ultramarathon will be my longest and most exciting event so far, it will come down to how fit you are on that day.
MARKUS PERREVOORT, RHEINE, GERMANY
Having a great affinity for rivers and oceans from a very young age, Markus has been paddling over the last 35 years in all sorts of paddling competitions – from flatwater to surfski, dragonbaoting and SUP. He is a well-rounded athlete & editor of the German SUP special / Kayak magazine.
- First day on a SUP: 2 years ago in Münster, Germany, in winter
- Best day on SUP: Downwinder May 2011 from Scharbeuz to Neustadt (German Baltic Sea)
- Most important ranking: German Champion 2011, DSPM
- Favourite spot: VIlla Nova Milfontes, Portugal
- Sponsor: Mistral
- What else: Looking forward to the hard work in Podersdorf!
- Website: http://blog.mistral.com/teamriders/sup/markus-perrevoort/
RUBEN SALVADOR MORTE, MAJORCA, SPAIN
Great guy who lives in Majorca, Spain and runs the Kitshop El Nino on the beautiful island. I met Ruben last year at the Silvaplana Race and we travelled from there to Holland. He proved at the 2011 220km Eleven City Tour that he is up for tough challenges.
- First day on a SUP: In 2008 in the Spanish Kite Championsships. It was the first Spanish Champion of paddle where only was 7 competiters.
- Best day on SUP: When I finished the 2011 Eleven City Tour
- Most important ranking: 1st in 14′ in 25K Cabrera open ocean Race
- Favourite spot: In front of my shop 🙂
- Sponsors: Starboard – ION – Reef Energy Drink – El Niño Surf Center
- Website: www.mallorcapaddlesurf.com
MICHI SELINER, SCHÄRNIS, SWITZERLAND
Awesome, nice guy from Switzerland. I met him in Podersdorf last year. He runs his own SUP School SUP SWISS in Switzerland. He started Standuppaddling 4 years ago and is still as stoked as on day one. He told me this race is about the challenge and finishing, not about who wins.
- First day on a SUP: June 2008
- Best day on SUP: Downwinder on Walensee in sunny weather with warm wind (Föhn)
- Most important ranking: 4th Swiss Championships Long distance 2011 and Team winner Swiss Champs
- Favourite spot: Klöntaler See, Switzerland (Glarnerland)
- Sponsor: www.standupmagazin.com, Mistral and SUP Swiss
- What else: Looking forward to Podersdorf, the event, the party and the Ultramarathon, of course!
- Website: http://
PETRA OFFERMANNS, MUNICH, GERMANY
Petra will be the only women trying to do the 60k solo. She has demonstrated she is up for tough challenges by finishing the 220km 2011 City Tour in her first year of SUPing. Since then, her mantra is “Can’t be worse than Holland!”
- First day on a SUP: May 2010
- Best day on SUP: SUP Snow BBQ with Annabel Anderson on Snowy Eibsee in Germany
- Most important ranking: 3rd on 126″ in Nautic SUP Crossing, Paris, December 2011
- Favourite spot: Eisbach and Isar
- Sponsor: Fanatic, ION, Kialoa, Adrenalina Sports, Santoloco
- What else: “I love my campervan!” T3, ’87 about 260.000km
- Website: www.sup-guide.com
one more last minute solo entry from
RICHARD GRATZEI, AUSTRIA (profile info pending)